On one of the hottest day of 2016, I mounted some keikis for my friend Didi. I think she was nonplussed about this strange arrangement and left them in a corner of her garden, under the hydrangeas.
I used a piece of old floorboard as the base; drilled a couple of holes in it and fashioned a hanger with galvanised wire. I tied a few keikis together, put some sphagnum moss on the roots and wrapped a piece of hessian around them. Then I strapped the bundle onto the board. I must admit it looked as if it was being hung to dry.
The keikis were from her own garden. Didi had complained that the huge clump of Dendrobium nobile produced no flowers. I pointed out the oversize pot they were in and suggested they’d also been overwatered over winter. The number of keikis (babies) they produced proved my point; they came at the expense of flowers. Orchid babies are produced with roots attached so we removed them and I repotted them in a dozen pots, plus the mount.
When I visited them ten months later, I discovered that all the keikis have flower buds on them; the best performing being those on the board. Diane immediately hung it on her wall.
As the roots are now clinging onto the board, the ties were removed. You can still see the remains of the hessian in the picture. Click photo to see enlarged details.
Since then we mounted all the other potted keikis on boards and they have lived happily ever after: