A Landscape by Tang Bo Hu (translation)

Tang Bo Hu (Tang Yin) was a famous Ming Dynasty artist, scholar and poet.

A Landscape by Tang Bo Hu (1470 – 1524)

The hillside is washed with a light mist

A clear breeze is perching on the trees

Meditating to the sound of the streams

A man stands facing the span of a bridge

(c) Mary Tang 鄧許文蘭 2017

山水圖。唐伯虎

淡霧滃山腰,清風集樹梢。
聽泉人習靜,佇立面平橋。

This entry was posted in Poetry, Poetry Translation and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

9 Responses to A Landscape by Tang Bo Hu (translation)

1. So simple and so descriptive

2. Harry Miller says:

I like the breeze perching in the trees.

Do you think the last line is suggesting that the bridge leads to enlightenment?

I imagine that the mention of the bridge must have some significance; maybe he was contemplating a crossing but whether it was towards enlightenment? I am not sure.

• Harry Miller says:

My understanding of Chinese landscape painting (in which Tang Yin was very talented) is that sometimes the artist would include a bridge as an invitation for the viewer to enter the world of the painting.

Your translation helped me appreciate the original. I’m glad you included both.

The word ‘bridge’ in Chinese has many connotations just as it has in English. I am bilingual so I translate the way the poem in Chinese makes me feel. My friend who is a qualified translator thinks I am ‘not serious’ and my translations ‘casual’. So they are. I like thinking in two languages so I do and now I have it in writing – shoot me, but no refund.

3. This is wonderful.