I have an orchid that needs identification or I will have to invent an identity for it. I no longer remember its origin but it is likely that I bought it at our local market in North Sydney. It was neglected for some time and not looking healthy when I noticed a flower spike! Before I knew it the flower spike grew into a string of pearly blooms.
This morning I noticed that it has not made any progress so I decided to tip it out of the pot and have a look at the roots. Sure enough – ants!
I decided to cut back the roots and repot the plant in a much smaller pot, one size, two sizes, three sizes down! Since I bought this plant I have learnt that orchids flower better when they are ‘semi-potbound’. I am hoping that by moving it into a smaller space it will respond by growing healthier roots and new stalks.