Autumn Day by Lu You (translation)

It is autumn here in the Southern Hemisphere though as Sydney is becoming ever more tropical, the maximum today will be 25ºC.   The nights are cooler now and the incessant rain has eased.  That is something to celebrate, as the Song Dynasty poet, Lu You, did with this poem.

Autumn Day by Lu You (1125 – 1210)

Drunk with joy after the rain in the long awaited sun

I walk out in my woven shoes from west to east

At once I see a bridge by the willow trees and

The creek red with the blooms of the dew wet reeds

(c)Mary Tang 鄧許文蘭 2017

秋日。陸游

久雨初睛喜欲迷,青鞋踏遍舍東西。

忽然來到柳橋下,露濕蓼花紅一溪。

This entry was posted in Poetry, Poetry Translation and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

13 Responses to Autumn Day by Lu You (translation)

These poems are so visual, which I really like. Not that at times they don’t pack an emotional punch, but most the time they draw the atmosphere from the visual experience of the natural world. Thanks for these translations!

Yes, I find that the imagery connects me to the essence of the poem. It’s a pleasure to translate these poems from my mother tongue to my adopted language. They connect my two worlds. Thank you for reading.

Reblogged this on Leonard Durso and commented:
    another translation of the Sung Dynasty poet Lu You by Mary Tang on her blog Life is But This

3. Anna Cottage says:

Reblogged this on Anna Cottage and commented:
    This is so lovely, deserves to be read. Made me feel I wanted to be there.

4. Anna Cottage says:

Makes me want to be there, thank you. I shall reblog.