Chess by Wang An Shi (translation)

A poem by the Song Dynasty poet translated from Chinese to English:

Chess by Wang An Shi (1021-1086)

Let not a game injure true feelings

Submit to chance that calls me the champion

Both colours retreat at the close of campaign

Leaving nought on the scale to show loss or gain

(c) Mary Tang 鄧許文蘭 2017

棋。王安石

莫將戲事擾真情,且可隨緣道我贏。

戰罷兩奩分白黑,一枰何處有虧成。

This entry was posted in Poetry, Poetry Translation and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

13 Responses to Chess by Wang An Shi (translation)

wonderful translation. You really transmit something unknown to me, i.e. Chinese poems. Thanks for sharing, have a nice day, regards Mitza

2. angela1313 says:

I play both western and Korean chess which I understand is very similar to Chinese chess so I had extra reason to like this. After reverse engineering the translation I really think this is one of your best. I agree with you and arlingwoman about the author’s thinking.

Reblogged this on Leonard Durso and commented:
    another translation from Mary Tang on her blog Life is But This

Another gem. Thanks.

Ah, good fellowship after a game, rather than grudging good humor disguising bitter competition. We humans have not changed. I see the poet chiding a competitor gently.

That’s how I’d interpreted it, Lisa though some say that the poet was the loser and he wanted the other to give him the game (“say I’m the winner”) which made no sense to me.