Moon (Mid-Autumn) Festival中秋節

I don’t keep a Chinese lunar calendar but tonight my brother wrote from Beijing that they can’t see the moon for the pollution and wished me better luck.  It is my good fortune that I can see the moon; the forecast is for a cloudy night but the sky was clear as I looked up and there it was, bright and clear.  So for my brother and everyone else who can’t see the moon tonight – here it is from Sydney, Australia.

IMG_0958.jpeg

The mid-autumn festival is a time for harvest and thanks-giving for the Chinese and traditionally the family would gather and celebrate.  When one is alone one can still look at the moon and know that loved ones are seeing the same moon, unless they live in Beijing.

Happy Moon Festival!

This entry was posted in Diary and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

18 Responses to Moon (Mid-Autumn) Festival中秋節

1. angela1313 says:

One of my Chinese friends went home a couple of years ago for the first time in about five years, She came back appalled at the pollution in Shanghai and brought both her and her husband’s parents here to the US. I hope that something gets done about it, the health costs will be terrible.

That’s true but life is cheap in China. They do have environmentalists screaming for action but they are seldom heard and in any case, nothing much is done about it. It’s like a horror movie being played out in real life over there.

2. Imagine not being able to see the moon for that reason.

3. Lovely post Mary, just begun to follow your blog.

I’ve been watching the moon get fatter with some pleasure! Nice to see it from down under.

5. Dalo 2013 says:

One of my favorite Chinese holidays ~ 中秋节快乐!

How is the moon looking wherever you are? I see you are writing simplified Chinese – 中秋節快樂!

• Dalo 2013 says:

Simplified Chinese for a Simplified Mind :-) Will check out the moon tonight (in Seattle). Take care Mary, enjoy the day/night!

I miss the bookshops in Seattle. I was a Hedgebrook writer on Whidbey Island. Now that is a place for you to visit and photograph. It is 6:29 a.m. – I wish I have a simplified mind.

• Dalo 2013 says:

Oh wow, this is city is more your home than it is mine :-) Yes, Seattle bookshops are great…but there are fewer every year. Whidbey Island…I’ve never been 😬

Oh my; if you get a chance to gate crash one of their community dinners, do. Imagine a table as long as the length of the hall groaning with home grown, home made food including giant wheels of cheeses, smoked sausages, salads and fruit of every description, the biggest turkey you’ve ever seen in your life in a dutch oven I could sit in…one of the highlights of my six weeks on Whidbey.

6. robert okaji says:

May your moons always be bright, Mary.