“They’re so Ghastly I Love Them”

Late last year I took a pottery course at North Sydney Community Centre but when I tried to reenrol this year, I was told that the course was full.  At a loose end, I decided to take a three-session Saturday course in Mosman.  At North Sydney they let us do whatever we like, with a potter on hand to give advice.  At Mosman it was back to kindergarten; we made pinch pots and slab platters.  The third and final session (last Saturday) was devoted to glazing.

The choice of glazes available were limited and almost none to my liking.  Oh well, I thought, let’s try something different.

The tutor almost had a heart attack on seeing my choices.  This she told me yesterday, when I turned up after the final firing.  She of the white, clear, pastel school.  She said she almost fainted when I picked up the Hot Orange to go with the Rockingham Brown.  She was overwhelmed when she saw me paint the ‘lovely soap dishes’ with a Pewter glaze, even though I’d told her that they were ink dishes for Chinese calligraphy.

IMG_3878.jpg

She did try to be encouraging and enthusiastic.  She thought that ‘gay guys’ would go wild over my spoons; they are so phallic.  She thought my pieces were so ghastly that they’re beautiful.  She loves them.IMG_3880.jpg

IMG_3883IMG_3867

This entry was posted in Craft and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

20 Responses to “They’re so Ghastly I Love Them”

that’s something very special, Mary. Chaqu’un a son gout, as the French say. `The most important thing is that you like what you do. Have a nice day, regards Mitza

I don’t think they’re ghastly at all. In fact, I think they look quite snappy. Vive la difference! I would be proud to have any one of those pieces in my house. So you go, Mary!

3. Dumb iPad is playing up and deleted message, but I wrote something like:

Holy moly, these are spectacular Mary! :) I love all the contrasts playing off against one another. I think you have a great eye, and I love that you always follow your instincts. And your teacher reeeeally rubs me up the wrong way, but I guess bad teachers help us to be better ones.

4. Holy moly, these are spectacular Mary! :) I love all the contrasts playing off against one another. I think you have such a great eye, and I love that you always follow your instincts. And your teacher reeeeally rubs me up the wrong way, but I guess bad teachers help to teach us how to be better ones.

5. Now, Mary, you should know you must always do what teacher tells you :)

6. Lexa says:

I love your creations! They remind me very much of this style of Bennington Rockingham glaze pottery. Awesome!

7. Jan Schaper says:

Glad you shook up the establishment, Mary! And why not be colorful if that’s what you’re artistic heart and eye are calling for.

8. violetannie63 says:

I don’t think they’re ghastly at all! I had an art teacher give me a bad mark on a pot I made back in high school because he said I “cheated” (by not adding colour to it and leaving it the colour of the original clay). I thought it would have looked horrible coloured with different glazes and tones. I still have that pot now, 25 years on, and I still think it looks good, just being pale. It’s all in the eye of the beholder I guess! Your pieces are lovely and I am sure you’re happy with them, regardless of what the teacher thinks! :)

I like these too. There’s something magical about them. And the one piece looks woody, in fact. As for the phallic spoons, they remind me of mushrooms…