A sock is born.
Hand knitted with
- four 5mm bamboo double ended needles
- approx. 50 gr. /90 m worsted weight yarn (20% alpaca, 30% wool & 50% acrylic)
- a little skill and a lot of time and patience
- Bianca‘s easy sock pattern and her encouragement;
- my stubborn belief that ‘if you can read, you can do anything’
- readers who cheered me along
- my stash of ever thickening needles and yarn
- endless cups of tea and BBC dramas of Jane Austen’s novels
- failure after failure after failure after failure and
- the desperate need to triumph over a sock
With all its faults, it is a sock. The result is more of a bed sock than something you can push into a shoe, but it has all its parts:
The Band in a knit 2 purl 2 rib; a short Cuff of stocking stitch, a Heel Flap of short rows of slip, knit and purl stitches with a 90º Turn to an Instep Gusset that joins the lot to the Foot and Toe.
I will never pull on a sock again without thinking of all that engineering.