According to the written instructions on the sock pattern I was ‘on the home straight’. I am not familiar with sporting terms but I think it meant I was ‘getting there’, like the horse in the last part of a race. It’s a good simile as, like the horse racing towards its goal, I was not going to get a sock out of it. This has turned out to be a Ground Hog Day saga.
I’d made ‘The Band’ ,’The Cuff’ and the ‘Heel Flap’; turned a smart 90º at the heel and arrived at the ‘Instep Gusset’, passing that onto ‘The ‘Foot’ and heading toward the ‘Toe’ when I noticed something strange. Half way on ‘The Foot’ I realised that I’d narrowed the opening of the ‘Instep Gusset’ too much and unless I was awaiting a partial amputation…that prospect is not good for a diabetic like me.
After pulling out the stitches on ‘The Foot’ and half way up the ‘Instep Gusset’, I found that I couldn’t put the stitches back on three needles again. My right hand didn’t have the dexterity required for the operation. It was late and I was tired. Like Cinderella’s carriage that turned back into a pumpkin, my partial sock went back into a ball of yarn.
As you can see from the photographs, I’d made design changes to move the project along: in essence the sock had changed into an anklet by having its band and cuff shortened. The way I’m going these socks will turn into slippers.
There’s nothing for it but to start again. Now I’m not the kind of person who would doggedly repeat an exercise if things go wrong, hoping that the ending will somehow change if I keep at it. It’s time for a second design change.
The grip on my right hand was compromised due to lymphedema and arthritis. My eyes are dimming. So I will make some bed socks with larger needles so that 1. I can see better and 2. my clumsy fingers are less likely to keep dropping needles and stitches. Bamboo needles instead of slippery steel ones may also help.
So a big bright red sock is in the making. I’ll be ready when I run into Bigfoot.