Dancing In the Year of the Monkey

Today is the first day of Chinese New Year and it’s customary to pay respect to our elders and superiors by visiting them.  Alas I no longer have elders to honour so I went dancing instead.  Ballet, that is.

A dozen ladies gathered outside the church hall this morning, waiting for the little ones to come out of the baby ballet class.  No, we were not the grandmothers; we were the class of Ballet for Over 55s, there for our first lesson.

Every one wore the uniform of stretchy tops and leggings but me;  I was in an oversized cotton top and baggy shorts.  It was 27ºC and I was not going to wrap myself in lycra.  Others agreed that it was a wise move and they’ll follow suit next week, but I promised my teacher that I will invest in the tutu and tiara when I transform into a ballerina.

I have never danced before and to be honest, we didn’t dance in class today.  For an hour and a half we did exercise at the bar and off the bar.  Our teacher explained that the work at the bar is to prepare us for the work off the bar and the work off the bar was to prepare us for performance.  I don’t know when that would be – watch this space!

Happy Year of the Fire Monkey! 🐒

This entry was posted in ., Diary and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

16 Responses to Dancing In the Year of the Monkey

1. gaiainaction says:

That looks so graceful Mary, what a lovely idea!

2. Jan Schaper says:

A good New Year’s story, Mary. I look forward to your next “chapter!”

3. Sunshine Jansen says:

A brilliant start to the year! 拜年了!

Good that you start the New Year with some exercises. All the best, kind regards MItza

Son of a biscuit, you’re adventurous! Hats off to you, Mary. Or, should I say, ballet shoes ;)

6. Good for you, Mary – for doing this at all, and for wearing sensible attire

7. Happy year of the fire monkey Mary! :D I believe it is meant to be a good one for dragons? 🐉🐉 loved seeing where you are taking your ballet classes and looking forward to the updates :)

Good luck with your lessons, Mary.