Good Intentions

Other than bugs and other pests that I need to combat everyday, occasionally a friend calls in.  Sometimes a friend bring friends and all would give me advice when they see my garden.

They tell me how to get rid of my black bamboo.  The black bamboo that is the back drop of my garden.  My favourite and most useful plant.   The curtain that screens the sight and exhaust from two monstrous air conditioners at my neighbours’.  Poison it, they advise.  Good intentions.

They tell me about the latest legislation that allows the removal of trees close to the house.  Chop down the jacaranda, they say.  You’re allowed.  Good intentions.

First, I love the jacaranda and have no wish to kill it and second, unlike other areas, our municipality has a tree preservation policy that do not allow any removal of large trees without permission.  My tree is protected, thank goodness.

Not long ago a tree was removed when one of its limbs fell, struck and killed a student at school.  Thus began a movement for the removal of trees, first from school yards then in other public places and in back yards.  Anything to prevent a loss of life, especially the life of a child.  Off with the trees.  Good intentions.

Please, I appreciate the good intentions but if a limb falls off my jacaranda as they are prone to do, please don’t kill it, even if it kills me.

Jacaranda

This entry was posted in ., Diary, Garden and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

20 Responses to Good Intentions

1. We get the same thing here, ‘You should get rid of all those gum trees around the house before they fall on you!!!’ Yeah…….nope. I say que sera sera. :)

2. clarencehui says:

The actions of good intentions would surely get you killed way before the tree has a chance to.

3. clarencehui says:

Good intentions and their actions will likely kill you way before the tree has a chance!

What a tree and what blossoms! As for unasked for advice…well, it’s worth about as much as you paid for it.

5. wfdec says:

There is not much that is worse than ‘good’ advice that you just don’t want.

6. Elisabet says:

Great concept. Sometimes good intentions are loss of freindships.

these Jacaranda trees are so beautiful. But maybe you could just remove dangerous branches, that might fall down. Hope you will live many years still, regards Mitza

8. Some of your friends lack soul – that I find surprising :)

9. Sunshine Jansen says:

There must be a 成語 for “to cut off one’s nose to spite one’s face”… 加油!