The Tree Solution

I live in a back lane lined with backyards and I alone face it from my front door.   It is a garbage lane where the council’s trucks come in twice a week to collect garbage, recyclable material and green waste.  This ugly sight  used to come to view as soon as I step out of my front door.

IMG_2446

It was not always like this; there used to be a tree that stood in front of this ugly building that I was not even aware of until the tree was removed.  I recall the day:  first the sound of chainsaws; it went on all day.  That evening the hundreds of rainbow lorikeets came home and shrieked as they flapped their wings in the air where their home had been.  They vanished with the loss of the tree and I was left with that memory and a sight that is even harder to erase.

There is no way of replacing a massive, ancient tree.  Outside my front door is a driveway cum car space of concreted pebbles.  If I want a tree to block the ugly view; I must have one in a container.  In fact, many trees in containers, and my orchard was born.

The timing was perfect.  I had sold my car and I had just returned from Hedgebrook, a writers retreat in the USA where I spent six weeks feasting from its organic gardens and orchard.  I started with two cumquats and the collection of fruit trees grew to offer a buffer from the harsh reality.  I know the ugliness of my neighbourhood remains.  The tunnel of green that used to be my lane now sees more of the sky but I am grateful to have my miniature orchard and accept those things that I cannot change.

IMG_2450

IMG_2443

This entry was posted in ., Garden and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

15 Responses to The Tree Solution

1. gaiainaction says:

What a perfect solution to a depressing problem, a great encouragement for all of us trying to deal with vanishing trees in the landscape. Love it Mary, and wish you a lovely harvest later in the year.

What a great response. And now you have your orchard.

Great solution!

4. Your bit is very beautiful :)

5. Jan Schaper says:

It’s sad to lose trees, especially the ancient ones. . . it hurts, actually. I remember the beautiful elms that lined my grandmother’s street, even the sidewalks curved around them. Gone now. I miss them.

Yes, it hurts still when I walk down the lane and see the sky instead of the canopy of trees. I like sky but now below it is only concrete pavements, buildings and a tarred lane. I am fortunate to have one of the few remaining large trees.

• Jan Schaper says:

Yes, you are fortunate. And whether your neighbors know it or not, they are also fortunate, for trees are Life. I find it to be a hard time to live in the world given all the destruction of land and plants . . . makes gardens and orchards like yours that much more precious.

6. Ginene Nagel says:

Don’t you wonder why the garbage company couldn’t have a red stripe or something on the lids rather than the entire top being bright red and bright yellow? It all looks very neat there and that is very nice. I don’t see any litter.
    Ginene