To Jillian Skinner, Health Minister: Thank you for Cancelling my Funding

Dear Health Minister

I was grateful to be eligible for 80% funding for my medical equipment due to chronic illnesses.  However, the price of the equipment went up five times as soon as I qualified and the order went through the health department’s Enable NSW.  I was asked to pay more than the 100% it used to cost me.  When is 20% ever more than 100%?

After months of reasoning with unsympathetic staff and debt collectors, I approached the Health Care Complaints Commission and through them had my case elevated and gained access to another hearing.  It resulted in an “Acting Manager” calling me to apologise for what I had to go through; telling me that they are waiving my contribution.

Subsequently my physiotherapist advised me that my funding was cancelled.  On behalf of the taxpayers who had to pay $1,145 for my elastic bandage, thank you for stopping it from happening again (to me) but I would prefer your fixing the problem in your system rather than cutting my funding.  This way the trauma that I’d suffered would not happen to anyone else and taxpayers’ money would not be wasted.

You see, paying me off may remove a nuisance to your system but if Enable NSW is allowed to continue overpaying suppliers (for whatever reason) and punishing the sick, then we will only become sicker and a heavier burden on society.

Does that make sense?  Or would you say to me, like the many I spoke to at your department, that there’s “no pointing telling me; I’m just a clerk”?

Thank you in anticipation of some positive action.  I hope it happens before my incurable cancer kills me, if the stress does not.

Yours sincerely,

Mary Tang

This entry was posted in ., Diary, Health and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

13 Responses to To Jillian Skinner, Health Minister: Thank you for Cancelling my Funding

1. Jan Schaper says:

So sorry to hear about your health insurance, Mary. It’s crazy that we have to fight for such things. I am glad that you have created such a beautiful garden for yourself and hope that its vitality surrounds you with healing energy.

2. I do hope you sent this, Mary

A victory, of sorts.

No; no one won this round unless you count the supplier who received $1,145 for an elastic bandage.

• zdunno03 says:

But you are no longer being charged, right?

My 20% contribution to the $1,145 bandage was waived but my 80% funding (for future needs) was cancelled. Of course as a tax payer I have to pay my share of the money that Enable NSW paid inappropriately.

All bigots have their reasons to be such but reasons can’t be excuses. I think you mean more than 99% of the population of USA is foreign born, don’t you? I’m sure not all Americans are pro Trump but the protest is not loud enough to convince anyone that the majority is not at least partly with him. The case you just outlined for the Trump supporters goes to show that even educated people are allowing excuses for their behaviour. It has nothing to do with taxes or jobs; it’s about fear itself. Fear and cowardice that cause people to hit out at the most vulnerable targets This is what Trump is cashing on. Are Trump and Hitler mad? Or are they master manipulators of the masses?