That Trumps the Lot – This is USA today

Now I’ve heard everything.   Another trumpet from the Republicans’ popular presidential candidate:  ban free beliefs.  Some Republicans say that “that’s not us, that’s not what being Republicans is about” but I say to them:  own it!  This is your reflection.   Trump is your mirror and he’s mirroring who you are.  He is a popular Republican President Candidate; his supporters are many and they are all Republicans!

This entry was posted in . and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

20 Responses to That Trumps the Lot – This is USA today

1. Jan Schaper says:

We are not born to hate; it is conditioned in and learned. And unfortunately in the USA right now there are people who hate out of fear and ignorance and this is given voice via Donald Trump. But there are many everyday americans who are speaking out against Trump on social media. This segment appeared on the national news. http://www.attn.com/stories/4614/tom-brokaw-donald-trump

I thought his candidacy was a joke at first, but unfortunately it has stopped being even slightly amusing long ago. He has tapped into an undercurrent in America that has always existed going back to the Puritans and it rears its ugly head periodically, oft times causing damage to the nation’s psyche. And regardless of what people in the news say, his supporters are legion. But this is not just true in the US, look around the world and you see the same thing happening elsewhere. Human beings are tribal by nature and fearful of other tribes. Look at world history and then see this is just a repeat of what has happened before and will in all probability continue to happen again and again. The only difference now is we have technology that allows us to see the worst and at times the best of what we are instantaneously.

Well, you’re right, he’s a nut with followers; hateful, careless of our Constitution, ignorant, bigoted, and a lot of other adjectives describing unattractive characteristics. Can’t tell you how many times I’ve been discussing the slate of candidates with someone who has wondered at Trump’s popularity. This morning, his ridiculousness gave me my first moment ever of solidarity with Dick Cheney whose response was pretty unvarnished, and oddly, much as my own. This isn’t conservatism but Nativism in a virulent form. It rises periodically in our culture and it’s having another moment. So embarrassing the rest of the world gets to watch.

Oh you don’t have the monopoly on having embarrassing politicians wanting to speak on our behalf. Our former Prime Minister Tony Abbot just won’t shut up; too bad we didn’t get a chance to vote him out; his party threw him out as leader and thus he lost the top job. They did it to keep their party in power but now Tony Abbot is pretending that we would have voted for him – Dream On, Tony. The polls didn’t lie – we think you stink!

4. I believe that Trump is more dangerous to the free world than ISIS. That doesn’t mean I accept any of ISIS but Trump will split the free world whereas ISIS was uniting the free world.

Trump is no more dangerous than what is in the hearts of Americans. He may be powerful but he didn’t create bigots; they’re just answering to his call.

• How exactly true that is. And we have some of our own. I’d love you to read an old post of mine on a similar point.

Thanks, will do. Update: I have now read your story. If only people can settle their differences but that will never happen. Still, they don’t have to kill each other for it.

• Ginene Nagel says:

Mary, I hope you don’t mean all Americans because I only know one person who is for Trump. I have a shop and talk to a lot of people who say, “That guy is nuts!” There are, however, a large group of middle-class American people who have suffered through the Great Recession here, and who, at a gut level, think that poor urban Americans and illegal residents get big handouts and are living well on welfare. They want this to stop and they don’t want any more immigrants. Historically, this has happened every time the United States has a large group of immigrants come in. There isn’t a nationality that has come that those who came before didn’t oppose them coming. Over 11.6 million Mexican people reported coming, but certainly many were not reported. Twenty-five percent became citizens. About 1 Million people returned to Mexico. Almost 50 percent of the people in the US now are foreign born. Many, many, many people worked for cash and did not pay taxes but medical care in larger cities was free while working natural born Americans could not pay the cost of health insurance. I don’t agree with these people, but an educated person has to make an effort to understand what made these people come and why the “right wing” is coming from.
        Trump, I am almost afraid to say it for the responses I’ll get, reminds me of Hitler. He rants and raves and gets people worked up about the injustices they have endured just like Hitler did with the German people as they were coming out of the German Depression. Scary stuff.

All bigots have their reasons to be such but reasons can’t be excuses. I think you mean more than 99% of the population of USA is foreign born, don’t you? I’m sure not all Americans are pro Trump but the protest is not loud enough to convince anyone that the majority is not at least partly with him. The case you just outlined for the Trump supporters goes to show that even educated people are allowing excuses for their behaviour. It has nothing to do with taxes or jobs; it’s about fear itself. Fear and cowardice that cause people to hit out at the most vulnerable targets This is what Trump is cashing on. Are Trump and Hitler mad? Or are they master manipulators of the masses?

• Ginene Nagel says:

A bigot is someone who is intolerant toward those who hold different opinions from oneself. If one doesn’t try to understand where these people are coming from…wouldn’t one be a bigot themselves?

Understanding someone’s motive is not the same as approving of their actions. I totally understand why some people choose to hate and act in a hateful manner but if society chooses to excuse them then civilisation is doomed.

5. robert okaji says:

Trump is an embarrassment to the human race.