Being Illustrated

IMG_2264

A complimentary copy of Falling and Flying, Poems on Ageing arrived in my mailbox this morning.  The list of contributors reads like Who’s Who in the poetry circle in Australia–names such as Bruce Dawe, Rosemary Dobson, Robert Gray, Gwen Harwood, Dorothy Hewett, Clive James, Geoff Page and Dorothy Porter.  I was humbled to see my own unknown name amongst the luminaries.

When Dr. Susan Ogle called to ask for permission to include my poem in the anthology, I told her my poem is not about ageing.  It was about my grandmother’s memory of the murder of baby girls in China.  I was flattered to be asked but though I couldn’t object to being included, I suggested to her that perhaps the poem may not sit well in a book on ageing.

Dr. Ogle persisted; pointing out that Dr. Richard Wu had already completed an illustration to accompany the poem.  What can I say?  I am overwhelmed that such a wonderful painting was created for my work.

IMG_2261

IMG_2265

This entry was posted in ., Poetry and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

17 Responses to Being Illustrated

So beautiful! Congratulations, congratulations!

2. Dalo 2013 says:

Very cool, congratulations Mary!!!

Congratulations on having the poem collected –and illustrated. It is very powerful and sad.

4. robert okaji says:

Beautifully illustrated. And such a powerful piece of writing!

5. Both the poem and the illustration are amazing. You give me goose bumps. Well done Mary :)

wonderful, Mary, congratulations. Fantastic work, regards Mitza

7. Superb poem, Mary. No-one could miss your message which describes the burden women of all ages carried

8. BunKaryudo says:

They made a wonderful job of the illustration. You must be very proud. :)