Update on the Thousand Dollar Bandage

I was billed for a $1,145.80 bandage, though only 20% was demanded from me.  The Health Department’s Enable NSW is picking up 80% of the bill.  I was shocked as the bandage, when I was paying 100% was under $200.    I wish I had not applied for the funding – I would not have done so if I knew that the price would go up as soon as my application was approved.

The old sleeve, above was perfectly effective. the new sleeve is slightly longer but does not reach the should as I'd been promised.

The old sleeve, above was perfectly effective. the new $1,145.80  sleeve is slightly longer but does not reach the shoulder as I’d been promised.

After numerous phone calls and being told rudely that I’d signed the papers and committed to paying 20% of the cost so I must pay, I nevertheless resisted.  I wrote to the Health Department and the Minister, even the Shadow Minister without result.

Yesterday Enable NSW called me to say that there’s been a clerical error, but I still have to pay the $229 of $1145.80 as billed – only future orders will reflect the correction.   My next sleeve will be $255.90 instead of $1145.80.  Can this be right?  I asked: why?

I tried to stay calm and spoke slowly and clearly:  I am not paying the bill.  I urged Lisa to look into my case thoroughly.  How can the sleeve be $1,145.80 one moment and  $255.90 the next?  She could’t answer but said she’ll get back to me.  I’m waiting.

This entry was posted in Diary and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

10 Responses to Update on the Thousand Dollar Bandage

Good luck! I’ll be waiting to hear.

2. Jan Schaper says:

Good for you, Mary, for not settling for the muddled insurance explanations!

3. Sunshine Jansen says:

There is no logic to this; I believe bureaucracy fundamentally abhors it! :(

Bureaucratic. Nightmare.

Our country needs to be smarter; we need a better gene pool but no, we don’t want new blood; and letting brains in would threaten our jobs, don’t you know. We mustn’t better our education system either – don’t you know that we need a lot of dumb people to service the rich? It’s the rich that calls the shots around here. Dumb them down so they will just do as they’re told, without a thought passing the brain.

Reverse inflation. Or is that depression?